One of the most frequent questions people ask about braces is, “Do they hurt?” The honest answer is, usually, no. Getting braces is almost painless and stress-free. Therefore, do not be anxious about your placement appointment. You will only experience mild soreness or discomfort for the first few days after your brackets and wires are placed. After five to seven days, the initial discomfort should be gone as your teeth acclimate to your new accessories.
How Long Does the Procedure Take?
The duration of the procedure depends on the patient and the type of braces being placed. In most cases, getting braces takes approximately 1-2 hours. The procedure is unpleasant especially for younger kids but not painful. The orthodontist starts with cleaning and drying your teeth and finishes by putting elastic bands to secure the brackets.
After the Application
You may feel some discomfort after braces are applied. The discomfort emanates from the pressure of the wires and elastic ligatures. For most people, the discomfort is manageable and disappears in a few days. You will have to adjust to your new life. You have to get used to wires and elastic in the mouth and eat softer foods.
How to Ease Discomfort
• Eat soft foods such as mashed potatoes, boiled vegetables, thin soups, and pasta the first few days.
• You can use over-the-counter painkillers such as aspirin.
• You can use the orthodontic wax your orthodontist provides to rub the inside of your mouth when you feel uncomfortable.
• Avoid beverages that contain lots of acid such as orange and tomato juice.
• When you develop mouth sores, refrain from touching them with your tongue or finger. You can mix a cup of water and a half-teaspoon of salt and swish it gently to relieve irritation.
How Long Does it Take to Get Used to Braces?
It may take a month to get used to the metal in your mouth. In six months, you might not even notice you have the braces on. When you have brackets and wires, you may experience mild pain but do not worry as the pain usually goes away quickly. Also, modern braces are designed to be gentle and lightweight and hence the pain is negligible.
At M. Scott Runnels Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, we understand the anxiety and worry that comes with getting your teeth straightened and do everything possible to make the procedure comfortable and pain-free. Contact us today to schedule an appointment! We are conveniently located in Destin and Inlet Beach, FL.